header

header

Friday, October 3, 2014

First Contact

One of the great misconceptions of Freemasonry is that you must be "chosen" or "asked" to become a Mason. In fact, the truth is the complete opposite. To become a Freemason you have to seek out a lodge, find some Masons and ask to become a member. It's actually forbidden for most Masons to solicit you in any way to join the club.

I managed to locate a lodge that was about halfway between my home and my office. They had a pretty decent website, and looked like they even had some younger members. I figured it couldn't hurt to reach out and contact them via email. I still wasn't sure if this was something I wanted to do, or honestly why I was headed in this direction. By nature I am a bit of a loner. I don't have many acquaintances and I have even fewer friends. I am certainly not someone who would join a "fraternity". I continued to feel some sort of pull towards this organization. I needed to find out more.

I contacted the Worshipful Master of this local lodge, (Worshipful Master I later learned, is a term of respect hearkening back to the middle ages, and has nothing to do with worshiping.) I was invited to the lodge for a dinner to meet some of the members. I was told to wear a suit and arrive at 6:30. Our exchange via email was brief, but cordial. The dinner would be held in two weeks.

I was extremely nervous. Wearing a suit isn't something I do often. Neither is meeting with random strangers in some sort of "temple". I had no idea what to expect. My wife thought it was a little odd as well. Although she was, and is incredibly supportive.


No comments:

Post a Comment